annaka’s birth story


I had my weekly doctor appointment and if I was not ready to go we were going to discuss my induction options. I remember feeling so nervous and scared, this whole time I had hoped and planned for a natural birth, or pure as my hypno birthing book liked to call it. So at my 42 week appointment, NOTHING I had not dilated anymore then the 3cm that I had at 40 weeks, so sad. So they scheduled me to go into the hospital the following day to have my baby, December 23rd 2011. I called the hospital that morning to see if they had room, they made room for me since I was so far along. Kyle and I arrived at the hospital around 9:30am.

I wanted to have the least invasive induction possible so that gave me misoprostol to soften my cervix in hopes I would then dilate with little intervention. You take a pill every four hours and after being settled in our room at about 3pm I had my first does, followed by a second does since after the first one I had still not dialated ANYMORE, our little lady had no interest in meeting face to face. So instead of offer another does Kyle and I deceided to sleep that night and try again in the morning. Since I had been in bed for the last 8 hours waiting for the misoprostol action I wanted to go for a walk before we went to bed for the night. So Kyle and I took a walk at about 10pm and settled ourselfs in for the night.

I tried to sleep for about an hour, but of course I was uncomfortable, being 42 weeks pregnant and all, and was having a few cramps. Nothing that had really been different than the last week. The nurse had offered me something to help me sleep but I thought I would tough it out. At midnight I rang our wonderful, sweet nurse Lauren, to let her know I was a little crampy and could not sleep. She suggested that I take a walk to see if it would pass. Sometimes the drug makes you think you are going into labor but then nothing. So I walked…

After about an hour I came back to the room. I was still “cramping” and didn’t think I would be able to sleep. So Lauren said that she would check me to see if anything was happening but she thougth that it was still false labor and I had no idea, I was kinda hoping it was so I could get some sleep. I went into the bathroom and my water broke, I called out to Lauren “I think my water broke.” Why I said I think I am not sure because I knew that was what happened, she didn’t believe that it would happen that fast, she took a look at siad. “Oh yes, it did.” So she checked me and I was at 5 cm.

From here on out it is all kind of a blurr of sitting in the shower, not wanted anyone to touch me and breathing (Thank you hypno birthing). From Midnight to about 3am I went from 5cm to pushing. I remember at one point thinking “If I want drugs it’s now or never.” I figured if I made it this far I could make it the rest of the way. Little did I know I had just been through the “easy” part.

Before I go on to the most magical part of the story I would just like to say that I think that everyone should have their babies at Wentworth Douglas Hospital. The staff, AMAZING they respected my wishes, I was never hooked up to any machines, I never had to stay in my bed, the nurses were encouraging and beyond supportive. I wish I could have all my babies there. Anyone who says a hospital is pushy, always wanting you to take drugs and encourages a un natural birth has never been to WDH. My midwife Laura was fantastic as well. I could not have asked for a better experience. My wish is for everyone to have that kind of experience.

Now comes that magical moment that we all see on TV that moment where you push that sweet little life out of you, all your hair stays in place, look lovingly on this new life that came out of you with a few only a swear words….. Oh wait this is NOT want happened at all!

I thankfully only pushed for 23 minutes which I am NOT complaining about, but it was anything but magical. I will spare you the details that were spared me since I couldn’t see. I did not request a mirror, I needed no motivation to push. I wanted that girl OUT of me! Kyle says that I turned a color purple that he had no idea a living human could turn! And let me tell you my curly hair was looking pretty bad! We only took a couple pictures here that I will most likely not safe.


After 23 minutes we had our little crying, peeing baby girl. She cried for about 2 and a half hours which I hear is not typical. Then they took that screaming bundle of joy and did their thing, cleaned her off took her measurements. She was perfect and we were in love, tired but in love.






DSCN0019 DSCN0017










So this is how Annaka came into the world. Well it’s the shorten version. I think that everything went perfect I would not have asked for a better situation. I hope you enjoyed reading this thanks for sticking with it.

405502_583273943678_149700097_31884645_934711783_n_2 381476_583274297968_149700097_31884660_31069925_n











If I haven’t heard your story I would LOVE to! I love, love hearing about how these sweet babies are brought into this world. I love how everyone’s stories are so different and how amazing the women I know are.








Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s